We believe that art and design, working at it’s best, has the power to move people, incite change, and tell moving stories succinctly. The art/design posters will not only act as totems reminding those of the tragedy long after the media crews move on, but will act as a symbol of remembrance for all that see them. Read More
– Art Opening, May 6th at 7pm –
Unfold Media: Design Studio, Gallery, Art Space
708 Toulouse St., New Orleans, LA 70112
As we know, the island of Japan is facing a crippling disaster following the 9.0 earthquake on March 11th which set off a tsunami, wreaking havoc across the country. Subsequently, we’ve seen the island shift 8 miles; Tokyo tower, which stood as an upward-pointed symbol of post war rebirth, dramatically shift sideways; and a series of nuclear plant failures, most notably the Fukushima Daiichi power plant. This is a country, a community, and a people in need of assistance. In need of reciprocity.
That’s why Unfold Media and Canary Collective will work to help incite fundraising efforts with, and for, the NOLA Japan Quake Fund. Our fundraising plan is simple: tap into our network of artists and designers to produce a line of posters calling attention to the Japanese disaster that can be purchased in the form of donations online and through Unfold Media’s gallery space. To kick this effort off we are developing initiatives on four fronts:
1. A Web Site enabling people to submit posters and/or donate to the NOLA Japan Quake Fund.
2. We (Unfold and Canary) will host a fundraising event in NOLA, where attendees can donate/purchase posters and enjoy live entertainment while we broadcast the event live through Facebook/uStream.
3. After our event we will continue to keep the posters for sale/donation within the Canary Collective store/gallery.
4. For those who donate posters, money, time, or simply enter an email address, we will keep them posted on the progress and efforts being made – thanks to their support.